Tritons Start Hot – By Kevin Connor

Untitled design (1)

The Iowa Central Tritons football team came into the season with a lot of new faces and with those new faces came questions.

In the previous season the Tritons had a ton of experience on both sides of the ball and started the season with the #6 spot in the NJCAA preseason rankings. This year the Tritons started off with the #11 spot in the rankings and weren’t thought of as a top ten team and their first opponent was against #9 ranked Lackawanna.

All eyes were on the Tritons that Sunday afternoon in Fort Wayne, Indiana and they did not disappoint as they started the season off with a roller coaster 21-point comeback victory over the Lackawanna Falcons. The Tritons then showed that the win wasn’t a fluke by beating #1 ranked NJCAA DIII College of DuPage 41-14 in a dominant showing in all 3 phases of the game with offense, defense, and special teams. The success all starts at the leader of the team, starting quarterback Byron Jarrett Jr who’s been on a monstrous start to the season with his first game against Lackawanna throwing for 311 passing yards with 3 passing touchdowns and adding 25 rushing yards on the ground with 1 rushing touchdown. Jarrett followed that masterful performance with an efficient 203 passing yards and 2 passing touchdowns with 15 rushing yards.

The Tritons next game is against Gordon’s Fine Arts & Sports Academy, and they will follow that up with the biggest rivalry in Juco football against the Iowa Western Reivers which is expected to be a highly anticipated top 10 ranked matchup that will have heavy implications on the playoffs and national championship.

About us

The Collegian is an online newspaper written, edited, and published by students at Iowa Central Community College in Fort Dodge, Iowa.