On Friday, Oct. 25, 2019, a group of Iowa Central Students traveled to the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls to attend the annual Fast Forward Event. This event is a digital media event held for students to listen to digital media professionals talk about different subjects and potentially ask questions and receive answers.
Students were able to choose a panel they wished to attend during each of the three sessions. A few of the panel options were: ‘Why Journalism isn’t Dying’, ‘Hot Gear for Cool Shots’, ‘New Opportunities in Radio’, ‘News Directors – Tops and Tricks’, and ‘Repping Your Brand: Social Media and Corporate Video’. There were eleven panels in total.
After the sessions, students listened to a keynote address given by Ben Hagarty. Hagarty, a University of Northern Iowa alum, talked about his journey while working in digital media. He discussed how he moved to Los Angeles after graduation and worked hard to be where he is today–a videographer for music artists and bands. Ben Hagarty has worked for Chris Brown, Beyoncé, and many others! Be sure to check out his production company, Black with No Cream!
To help stay warm during winter weather, be sure to find these four key items! If needed, the Triton Closet has a variety of sizes and styles of coats, hats, mittens, and scarves for students. The Triton Closet is open Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The Triton Closet is also accepting donations as well!
2. Dress in layers.
3. Carry extra clothing items with you/in your car.
4. Have a shovel and/or ice melt in your trunk to help get your car out after a snowstorm.
5. Invest in an Ice Scraper to have clean windows so you can drive safely.
6. Keep your gas tank at ½ full or above, just in case you end up stranded to help keep your car running and heat working.
7. Snow boots will provide warmth and more traction if sidewalks are icy.